To facilitate strategic decisions regarding human capital management and staffing trends
As part of the continuing efforts to improve and simplify data-driven decision making, University Human Resources (UHR), Health System Human Resources (UMHS) and Michigan Administrative Information Services (MAIS) have developed a web-based tool to assist in reviewing and analyzing Human Resources data.
HR Metrics (ProClarity) includes HR and Financial measurements that facilitate strategic decisions involving human capital management and staffing trends. The data in HR Metrics is captured from the M-Pathways ODS system and is refreshed monthly. HR Metrics eliminates the need to access other data query applications.
Examples of the measures HR Metrics can provide, include:
- Retirement impact/succession planning
- FTE and head count
- Years of service by age
- Terminations by ethnicity and reason (voluntary/involuntary)
- Retention rate by ethnicity
- Salary ranges by gender
- Years of service by age by gender (for succession planning)
- Total compensation per FTE
- Operating expenses per FTE
- Average days to fill a position
Project Purpose, Scope, & Deliverables
HR Metrics boasts several helpful features, including a Drill to Detail option, allowing users to “see the people behind the numbers.” It also alerts users to trends requiring intervention and facilitates internal benchmarking.
HR Metrics also provides four years of data (both calendar and fiscal year) for monitoring trends within an organization/department and campus.
Other highlights of the HR Metrics system, include:
- Show the people behind the numbers with Drill to Detail
- Flexibility in using filter/analyses options for a closer look at trends and “what-if” scenarios
- Flexibility in design of organization trees to facilitate valid drill-down groups
- Establishing separate metrics for faculty and staff (e.g. faculty headcount and staff headcount versus headcount for all)
- Tool is easy-to-use and intuitive
- Education around metrics and how to identify key performance indicators
System/Application & Data Sources
ODS + OLAP cube
The primary audience and users are key administrators, human resource specialists, resource managers, and business analysts.
2003 – Present
- Gary Uptigrove, Manager, Human Resource Strategic Analyses & Information Services
- Kent Seckinger, Director, Human Resources Finance and Decision Support
If you have questions or would like more information, please contact Gary Uptigrove at email@example.com.